I Will Not Stand

I will not stand with a society that ridicules men for not being “manly”. I will not stand with you if you shut down others and degrade them for what they believe, what color their skin is, or for the country in which they live. A society that allows people to be discriminated against because of who they love, is something for which I will not stand.

We are the movement. We must change this society.

If a woman walks down the street and is constantly harassed and this is viewed as acceptable, will not stand with you. In a world filled with so much hate, I will not stand with those who add to it.

In a world where my ability to take a single test determines the rest of my life, where smart individuals are shunned for not testing well, I will not stand. We live in a world where a fish’s intelligence is judged by it’s ability to climb a tree, and for this I can not stand.

We live in a world where women are afraid to walk home alone at night and we don’t teach boys not to rape, but rather, teach girls not to wear certain clothes which might provoke attackers.

This society is so beyond the point of “I Will Not Stand” we have reached a point where people are leaving the country in order to escape the madness only to find out it is just as bad everywhere else. 

I will not stand with those who think it is ok to massacre people based on their beliefs, where a Muslim man is stopped and strip searched at an airport, or a Mexican man is stopped at a checkpoint and needs to prove his right to be in this country.

I will not stand with a society in which a woman gets paid less just because she is a woman, where a man is judged by who he brings to bed with him at night, where a woman’s skin can’t be exposed without being called a whore or a slut or a skank and is sent home from school if her shoulder is exposed, or where those who lie and cheat are rewarded with powerful political positions.

I will not stand with the top 80 people of the world retaining 90% of the world’s wealth, while men, women, and children starve in the streets.  Where the wealthiest among us live in mansions bigger than the White House and own cars worth more than a man’s life salary.  With that I CAN NOT STAND.

I cannot stand with a society where the freedom of expression no longer exists because a man who wears feminine clothes is called a sissy and freak and a woman who wears masculine clothing is seen the same way, where what God you believe in determines how you will be treated by others.

Where collecting a professional team’s gear, screaming at a TV every Sunday night, and painting your body for the game is seen as socially acceptable, but if someone wears an ESports team jersey, he is called a nerd.

In this world there is no right or wrong, however it is made to be.  We should be able to believe what we want, wear what we want, and be who we want. It is up to us to fix it: we must change how we think and accept people for who they are.  That is a society for which I can stand.