2013 Met Costume Institute Gala: A Review

By Amanda Long

Every year, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds an extravagant gala. The selected A-list attendants gather together to display their interpretation of the artistic theme. This year’s theme was, “PUNK: Chaos to Couture”. “Punk’s signature mixing of reflexes was fueled by artistic developers, such as Dada and Post Modernization”, said Thomas P. Campbell (Director and CEO of the Metropolitan Museum of Art). “So, it makes sense to present this exhibition in a museum that also shows the broader output of those movements.”

Beyonce
Beyonce

Singing sensation, Beyonce, wore a black and orange Keso dress with over -the -elbow gloves and boots to match. While she looked absolutely gorgeous, the look wasn’t quite as stunning as last year’s.

Kim Kardashian walked up the red carpet with Kanye West. She was dressed head to toe in a floral patterned dress which shocked with gloves attached to the dress. Many fashion critics declared it a “fashion don’t”.

Kim Kardashian in full floral
Kim Kardashian in full floral

Miley Cyrus strutted in a fishnet dress by Marc Jacobs. Her dress definitely reflected the theme and of course, was an original choice.

Miley Cyrus in all her fishnet glory
Miley Cyrus in all her fishnet glory
Anne Hathaway punking out with her new blonde hair.

Anne Hathaway looked stunning in her dress by Valentino.  Her hair and makeup corresponded perfectly with her outfit.

Jennifer Lawrence went with a simpler dress. Ankle length, with matching shoes made upped the ante of the simple silhouette. Her face veil definitely added a bang to her attire.

Zooey Deschanel was a rebel, walking in with her signature bands swept to the side. She wore a blue seersucker gown, custom designed by Tommy Hilfiger.  Of the dress, Hilfiger said, “The dress was an original, quirky and fun take on the punk theme.”

Jennifer Lawrence, with veil.
Jennifer Lawrence, with veil.
Zooey-Deschanel---2013-Met-Gala-at-the-Metropolitan-Museum-of-Art-02-560x819
Zooey Deschanel, fresh faced and dressed in seersucker, pushed against the punk theme.
View Comments (2)