Soft Sugar Cookies
Soft Sugar Cookies
June 13, 2024
MERINGUE COOKIES
MERINGUE COOKIES
June 4, 2024

First Person Receives Pig Kidney Transplant

Massachusetts General Hospital Press Release

For the first time in the world, a pig kidney has been transplanted into a living person. If the surgery stays successful it will save thousands of lives. Rick Slayman is a 62 year old man completed a four hour surgery in Massachusetts General Hospital on March 16th. Slayman from Weymouth, Massachusetts has been under treatment for diabetes and blood pressure in Mass General for many years. He received his first donor kidney in 2018, which failed after five years.

After being diagnosed with end stage kidney disease, the option of using a pig kidney was suggested. Humans are eligible for pig organ transplants as they are biologically similar and around the same size. The pig kidney used on Slayman was genetically modified for the best results possible. In surgery, when the kidney was transplanted into him, surgeon Dr Tatsuo Kawai says the kidney immediately started working and creating urine. Over 100,000 Americans are in need of a kidney donor each year. The use of xenotransplantation which is transplants using animal organs is becoming more of a possible solution to patients in need of treatment.

As of now, Slayman kidney is functioning and was able to get off dialysis. This surgery gives hope to many patients on hold for a transplant.

Sources:

cnn.com

usatoday.com

nytimes.com