Being a Theater Kid Can Change Your Life as an Adult

Many adults and older teens grow up with a fear of talking in front of people. For example, if you have a job interview it could be neve-wracking, but being in theater at a young age can help ease that anxiety. You may be surprised to learn that kids who participate in theater classes show it in their grades. According to the American Alliance of  theater education, theater students scored 65 points higher on their SATs and 34 points higher on the SAT math component than their non-theater peers. Additionally, other research has shown that theater kids also demonstrate improved reading comprehension, including reading strategies and 0verall attitudes toward reading.

Being in theater as a young kid and teenager helps you gain more confidence as an adult. If you can learn how to put on a great show when seemingly everything goes wrong, you’ll be able to handle any college all-nighter or insane work presentation. You’ll be way more collected because you already know the payoff is worth the stress.

In the real world– out of high school and college– there can be a lot of judgment. Just searching for a first job can be filled with incredible rejection.  But rejection is a natural part of theater; it’s extremely hard to deal with, but it toughens you up a whole lot.  Every time you get rejected for a role, it makes you stronger; and that strength is carried into adulthood. Lastly, being part of theater also forces to learn quickly. In theater, you regularly have to memorize lines, songs, staging, and choreography.

Truly, theater can really prepare you for life’s ups, downs, and everything in between.