Should phones be allowed in class?

In a recent Atlantic article, Get Phones Out of Schools Now, Jonathan Haidt shares his strong opinion on the effects of phones in the classroom and on students’ overall mental health. In his research, Haidt found strong links between phone addiction, negative mental health consequences, and even academic outcomes.

Educators have concerns about what to do to get the students focused in class and off their phones.  Over the last ten or so years,  the distraction of phones in a classroom turns to teachers wanting the phones out of the room. In his article Haidt writes that he found from his research that students who use phones during class have worse grades. He lists different levels of how the issue can be dealt with by not having the phones accessible to students to use while learning.

• Level 1: Can use phone during class, but only for class purposes
  • Level 2: Can have phone, but can’t take it out of pocket or backpack
  • Level 3: Students put their phones in caddies in each classroom
  • Level 4: Students put their phones in lockable pouches that they carry with them for the school day
  • Level 5: Students put their phones in phone lockers for the school day

Here at Village, we use ‘level 2.’ but it isn’t strictly enforced. Most students usually keep their phones in their pocket or by their side on their desks.  Most of the time, this seems to work.  One junior remarked, “The majority of the time, the students are pretty good about it and will ask to use their phone only when they are done with their work.  However, other students take advantage of the fact that we are allowed to have our phone on us and will use it in class without the teacher knowing or will be asked to put it away multiple times.”

I personally agree with his points about how damaging phones can be on students’ mental health and how distracting it can be during school, but I would not want my phone not be in reach of me. I don’t think phones should be removed from students since I like having it around me to use during my free time. Having a phone in reach gives a sense of comfort and security.

What do you think? Would you be okay not having your phone with you in class? Do you think Village’s rules are fair and are in the best interest of student learning and development? Comment below!!