Nascar Origins

Nascar started in the early 1920s by bootleggers who souped up their cars to be faster than the police cruisers, but boys will be boys, and soon souping up cars turned into full-blown highway races. After racing on the highways, Big Bill France came up with the great idea of putting these cars on a timagerack, and so the sport of Nascar was born. Big Bill France organized the meetings of the drivers on the race days. In 1959, the first ever Daytona 500 was held, which was won by Lee Petty- not to be confused with the singer Tom Petty, of course.

Now, the Daytona 500 is the first race of every Nascar season. Throughout the 1950s, 60s, and 70s the types of cars have changed. Cars like Plymouth Superbirds, Dodge Chargers, Chevy Camaros, and Ford Mustangs, are used, which if you ask me, is the pinnacle of cool. Both the 1970 Plymouth Superbird and the 1969 Dodge Charger were the one of the fastest cars in that time period, and they weren’t bad looking either. The 1969 Dodge Charger was a two door muscle car that came with a 440 cu In (7.2L) v8 magnum engine. The 440 made 375 hp with 480 lb ft torque. In Generation Three (1981 to 1991), the wheelbase was reduced to 110, and all body panels were purchased from manufactures. Today, Generation Six (2013-) the cars need manufacturing, with unique body panels placed on existing chassis. This design puts the “stock” back in stock car racing.