A Twist on “Senior Decision Day” in the Plainview Community

Staying in quarantine due to the Coronavirus has been a huge adjustment, to say the least. With schools, stores, and almost every public place closed, students and family members have been doing their work from home. This has come at the expense of many events and gatherings.

High school seniors were one of the groups hit the hardest. “Prom, Senior Decision Day, Graduation, Senior Sunrise… [those] are only some of the events I will miss the most” said Emily V., senior at John F. Kennedy High School in Plainview. Another Plainview student, Ben F., expressed his frustration when saying, “I have worked hard for 4 years to get accepted into college, and Senior Decision Day was something I was really looking forward to.”

The people of Plainview loved the idea, and now if you walk around the town, you will see doors decorated with flags, posters, and accessories.

Senior Decision Day is a tradition in Plainview where all students attending college or taking on an occupation wear clothing representing the next chapter in their lives. On May 1st, Seniors take pictures with each other and with teachers, in a celebration to congratulate them for their achievement. It is a day where students can feel proud of their hard work and show off what their future plans will be. As of now, Long Island schools will remain closed until May 15th, meaning that Senior Decision Day won’t be happening… in school.

“Wouldn’t it be great to decorate our doors and show the world what we are doing, what our next plan is…” exclaimed Mr. Miller, an excited guidance counselor, in a video sent to all seniors in Plainview. The people of Plainview loved the idea, and now if you walk around the town, you will see doors decorated with flags, posters, and accessories.

On top of that, JFK high school asked for photo submissions of people with their doors, and a slideshow is being created. Pictures of the doors are circulating around social media, and neighbors are admiring them while they walk. “I am very happy that our Senior Decision Day was not taken away from us,” said Alex L. “I even think I like this better because I get to show off to the whole town.” he laughed.

It is important that we make the most of these tough times, and it is clear that by doing so, it paid off in Plainview. Congratulations class of 2020!