Adieu, News

Dear Village Community,

As the school year comes to an end, a page of Village School history is turned. Last year, the idea for an online school newspaper was brought up to the student body with the goal of bettering Village School’s ‘image’ among other teachers and students in the district and the Great Neck community. The Newspaper started as a club, but had little support from students and we struggled to find time to meet during the school day.

This year, the paper started again, this time with tighter deadlines and a solid group of committed students. Towards the end of the semester though, there was still not enough productivity and commitment to continue the club, so something had to change. Rumors arouse about the idea of a mixed Newspaper/Yearbook class for the second semester. To me, this showed just how much the faculty supported the paper and believed it could thrive under proper supervision and with proper guidance.

Through the leadership of Ms. Lauren Gengo, our English teacher, almost every member of the class has been able to produce a thoughtful and insightful article every week throughout this semester. The articles submitted have not just been your typical hard news stories, but have ranged from a movie review on a zombie chick-flick, to a personal piece on a not- too- fun experience with a dog. In this way, students were given a means of speaking their minds on topics they might not be so quick to discuss with others. The students of the class know that every word they type is not just earning them credit in the class, but that their hard work is putting the Village School one step closer towards a “clean slate”, which for us, means a better image of the school in the community.

It has been a pleasure working with this news team and Ms. Gengo throughout this semester, and I hope that next year, there will be just as much, if not more, support and drive to continue The Villager, and to further better our image, while allowing the students a creative outlet to express themselves to the world.

Until next year,

Solomon Shapiro, Student Editor- in- Chief