Top 15 Anime Shows Availiable on Netflix

Netflix is a service that offers seasons of television shows, movies, and anime. Anime, Japanese film and television animation. I applaud Netflix’s anime selection, because it has a few amazing ones that are some of the most beloved and recommended.

Attack on Titan Despite its strange and interesting opening appearance, after the first few episodes, it demands to be finished. Originally, it was called Shingeki no Kyogin. This show, like most others, was originally a popular manga. (Manga- Japanese style comic books aim towards children and or adults.) The show depicts the battle between humanity and Titans. When the show opens, humanity is living like cattle, at the Titan’s mercy. After a few episodes, the catchy opening usually has fans singing along.

Seven Deadly Sins (Nanatsu no Taizai.) Being that this is quite a new anime, it does have a different style.. The epic squad of Seven Sins is made up of seven members. The first member is their leader, Meliodas, the Dragon sin of Wrath. Originally, the seven members were part of a group of knights, but due to misunderstandings the kingdom turned their backs on them. Everywhere they go they end up helping, all the while of bearing the weight of their sins. All of the Deadly Sins have committed a terrible sin, and what differentiates them from other sinners was best explained from Ban the Fox sin of Greed. “A real sin… can’t be erased no matter whaaaaat you do.”- Ban, The Seven Deadly Sins.

Hunter X Hunter is about three kids and a man-child take on a dangerous feat. The first season is based on the Hunter exam. A dangerous, life threatening test that grants a Hunter License in the end. Hunters are known as a wide variety of people who are strong and able. They can even kill without consequence. You can read more about it here.

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Hunter_Association

Blue Exorcist is a story of a family of exorcists, (here’s the twist) the children are literally the spawn of satan. The main characters, Rin and Yukio are twins, with the resolve to beat Satan (their father.) This show is a crowd pleaser, due to the interesting family relations.

Death Note is a murder mystery following Light Yagami. He is a highschool student planning world domination, and almost succeeds. Famous for its notebook. The Death Note is a physical notebook, that gets in the hands of Light Yagami. On the outside, he’s seen as a quiet genius, who doesn’t have particular interests, but eventually he is revealed as who he genuinely was.

Black Butler is a light hearted comedy with dark twist. Ciel Phantomhive, a royal orphan who can’t let go of his past. He holds on to his rage and carefully plots against his enemies. In the series, he’s twelve years old, which limits his physical abilities. Sebastian Michaelis comes in to fix that. Ciel makes a contract with a demon butler in order to exact his revenge. Despite the darkness, this anime has many light hearted moments, due to the the comedic quartet of the other “human” butlers.

Noragami requires just a little bit of knowledge of the Japanese language, traditions, and folklore. The show is focused around an obscure local god, that is desperate for his own shrine (He does odd jobs). Contrary to his enthusiasm and hard effort he was originally a very violent god of war. Due to the modernization of Tokyo and lack of assassination prayers, he lost his following and therefore his power. He tries to rebuild his following in order to live in luxury.

Red Data Girl is better when you already have a general idea about Japanese history and folklore, or have a general understanding of the culture surrounding gods in Japan. Izumiko is a girl who comes from a long line of shrine maiden that every so often is possessed by the Hime-Gami, which means princess deity. In Japanese history/ folklore, its known that the princess deity is the destroyer of humanity.

Full Metal Alchemist will not disappoint, this is another crowd pleaser. It comes in two different television programs, and two movies were released so far. This one also started out as a manga, and now well known and praised. A story of two brothers, who are alchemists. On the search to find the answers while doing the right thing, sends them on a journey all across the continent. (This is will probably make you cry.)

Fairytail, a story of a particular wizard guild that fights off other guilds and fulfills requests. The one similarity in all of the variety of Fairytail members, is their love for Fairytail. Fairytail is family for most members, especially recommended for loners because members are always willing to fight for Fairytail no matter how hurt, bloody, or exhausted they are.

Devil is a Part Timer is one you should especially watch, because it’s light hearted and nice to break up between such amazing anime that mess up your emotions. It’s still great quality while making the viewers laugh.

Soul Eater takes place at a school that trains students to fight against evil. They fight in partners and focus on matching up their souls with their partners. The show focuses on three groups, the main one being Maka and Soul. They struggle to make Soul into a weapon worthy of the Grim Reaper, who is the headmaster at this school.

Silver spoon is lighthearted compared to some of the others, it’s based on the adventures at an alternative agricultural school in Japan. It’s made relatable, because the main character in from the suburbs and HATES studying.

Magi is full of adventure and fun. A big child, a small child, and an even smaller child roam the world. Of course, being that this is an anime, they are not ordinary children. Morgiana, a member of the Faunalis, a tribe that were enslaved for their extraordinarily strong legs and hunting skills. The reincarnation of Solomon, and a runaway peasant-king.

Deadman Wonderland This is the show I recommend to people who say anime is for kids; one young boy is misplaced and ends up somehow surviving multiple fights. Its quite gruesome, but it does go by a classic anime style with some evil person or group trying to take over the world.

View Comments (3)