Project Fi

Google's new project
Google’s new project.

Google is in charge of many innovative ideas and projects. Their ideas range from making the fastest internet to spreading the internet through balloons and planes. Google tries to push companies to be more helpful to the consumers. One of the new projects that is striving toward this goal is called Project Fi. Project Fi is a network for phones to connect to in order to get better reception.

Project Fi combines two big networks, Sprint and T-Mobile. Project Fi’s network is now even bigger than Sprint or T-Mobile alone. ‘Wi-Fi Assistant’ is a built-in program in the sim card, which enables the phone to automatically, and securely, connect to open Wi-Fi networks. This happens seamlessly, and the connection is completely encrypted in order to prevent people from stealing passwords and other valuable information. Since the sim card allows phones to have two networks, the phone switches to the network with a stronger connection, which prevents dropped calls. The whole idea for this is to improve cellular connection at a reasonable price. The one downside is that a Nexus phone (Nexus 5, 6, or 6P) is needed in order to start using it; the sim card doesn’t work with other phones like iPhones or most android phones. Google said they’re trying to get more phones compatible, but hasn’t happened yet.

The plan for Project Fi  is unlimited talk and text for $20.  Data plans work in a different way. As it stands now, major network companies charge people ridiculous fees for overusing their data and if they don’t use up all the data they paid for, they don’t receive a credit to their account. But with Project Fi, the data plans aren’t set in stone. If a subscriber uses less data than he or she paid for, money gets returned for the unused data. If a subscriber goes over the data limit, then he or she only pays for the extra datea used. For example, if Kylar’s data limit is 2.0 GB and he uses 2.6 GB, then he would pay the 2.0 GB of data as well as the .6 GB of data. The plans start $10 per gigabyte of data. My recommendation, if you are planning to try out Project Fi, is to get the $20 plan for the talk and text, and add $10 for 1 GB of data.

These sim cards are easier to get in our area than Google Fiber. Project Fi is currently only accepting subscribers through invites. If you sign up on their website, then wait a week, and you’ll be able to get a sim card that has all of the capabilities of switching networks at a sensible price. The Project Fi app also breaks down your bill, so it is easier to understand.