Bridge In Baltimore Maryland Collapses

Cargo ship crashes into a support column: six remain missing

Part of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland, On March 26, 2024, at 01:28 EDT, collapsed after one of its support pillars was struck by a container ship.

Authorities at the bridge were able to stop cars from crossing the 1.6-mile span. “The ship issued a mayday loss of power. The workers on the bridge halted traffic right before impact. They saved lots of lives,” Marylands Governor Wes Moore said.

However, six people still remain missing after multiple vehicles plummeted  into the freezing waters of the Patapsco River as the bridge collapsed and it’s  steel arches and roadway tumbling down.

Here is an estimated Timeline of when the events occurred 

• 1:24 a.m.: according to video from the scene, the DALI container ship’s lights flicker as it traveled down Patapsco River
  • 1:26 a.m.: CNN analysis shows that the ship begins to change course toward the Bridge’s pillar,
  • 1:26 to 1:27 a.m.: The ships lights continue to flicker on and off
  • 1:27 a.m.: The ship hits the Key Bridge, causing it to crumble and collapse.
  • 1:40 a.m.: The 911 center dispatches call to Baltimore City Fire Department for reports of water rescue in the Patapsco River, according to Baltimore Fire Chief James Wallace. As the units were responding, fire officials also started to get calls of multiple people in the water.
  • 1:50 a.m.: The first fire unit arrives on the scene and reports a complete collapse of Key Bridge, according to Wallace There were “likely multiple people on the bridge” and as a result, were now in the water.