Upcoming Disney and Pixar Films

It was recently revealed by Walt Disney Animation Studios that the sequel to the Oscar-nominated film Wreck-it Ralph is scheduled to be released on March 9, 2018, which means that it officially comes out less than a year from now. The movie will be about Wreck-it Ralph and Vanellope Von Schweetz exploring and wrecking the internet. As of now, the sequel does not have an official title.

Rich Moore, who directed the first film, will team up with Phil Johnston to direct the sequel. John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer, Jane Lynch, and Alan Tudyk will return to the screen in their original roles. Jodi Benson, James Corden, and Ana Ortiz were also announced as cast members, though their roles are currently unknown.

Concept art for Gigantic.
    Concept art for Gigantic.

Disney’s next upcoming animated film, Gigantic, is an adaptation of the classic fairy-tale Jack and the Beanstalk. It will be directed by Nathan Greno, who directed Tangled. In the movie, Jack will climb up a beanstalk and encounter a 60-foot-tall eleven-year-old girl named Inma, as well as several other giants such a the evil Storm Giants. The score will be written by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, who won an Oscar for their work in Frozen.

Pixar also has several films coming out in the next few years. Cars 3 is coming out on June 16, and it is about Lightning McQueen’s life after a crash that forced him to retire from racing. He gets trained by another car, Cruz Ramirez, to race again. Another future film is The Incredibles 2, which will be written and directed by Brad Bird and released on June 15, 2018. In addition, the Toy Story franchise will be getting yet another sequel. This film, Toy Story 4, comes out on June 21, 2019 and centers around the lives of the toys now that they have a new owner, as well as Woody and Buzz’s search for Bo Peep, who did not appear in the third film.

Coco is the only original Pixar film that has been announced for the next few years.

Coco is the only upcoming Pixar movie that is not a sequel. It follows a boy named Miguel who dreams of becoming a musician like his idol, Ernesto de la Cruz. When he gets whisked away to the Land of the Dead, he meets a skeleton named Hector who assists him in his journey to discover and learn more about his family history. Coco will be released on November 22 and its first trailer came out on March 15.

There are so many upcoming films for Disney and Pixar fans to get excited about, but there is much we still don’t know about them. Fortunately, we only have a few years to wait until they hit the big screen.