Blade Runner Sequel in The Works

Blade Runner 2049 is a sequel to the original 1982 science fiction cult classic Blade Runner. Blade Runner 2049 has a set United States release date for October 6, 2017. The film will be directed by Denis Villeneuve and is starring Ryan Gosling, Jared Leto, Harrison Ford and Robin Wright. This sequel is being made because the original is a world renowned cult classic.

Some fans of the original film are very upset about this. They think that since the original had such an ambiguous ending, it ruins the original because then it does not leave you thinking about the questions Ridley Scott (director of the original) wanted you to be thinking about.

(Warning: SPOILERS)

At the end of the original film, it is implied that the main character Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) is a replicant, which are the robots that he was assigned to kill in the beginning. Earlier in the film, it is explained to Rick by the cops who hired him to hunt down the replicants that memories and dreams are placed into the minds of replicants, and he turns his head and looks at the other cop that is trying to convince him to take the job and sees he is making an origami of a swan.

Later in the film, about halfway through, Rick is thinking of a memory he had of a unicorn dashing through the forest. This could not have been an actual memory of his. At the very end of the film when he decides to run off with a replicant named Rachel, he is walking with her and sees a unicorn origami. Many, including the films director Ridley Scott, say that this means that he is a replicant and the origamis were made as models for installed memories. Harrison Ford and some others deny this theory though.

Replicants in the film were given only four year life spans and the sequel takes place 30 years after the original. These were only one type of replicants, though (Nexus 6 replicants). Denis Villeneuve, director of 2049, said that Deckard is “not necessarily” a human.

(No more spoilers)
    Blade Runner 2049 has a stacked cast and crew. The films director, Denis Villeneuve, has directed many famous movies of the 2010s. He directed the 2016 Oscar-nominated science fiction film Arrival, the drug-cartel thriller Sicario with Benicio Del Toro and Emily Blunt, and the very popular neo-noir mystery Prisoners with Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Paul Dano. The film’s cinematographer, Roger Deakins, is widely regarded as one of the best cinematographers of all time. Roger Deakins did the cinematography for many famous films such as The Shawshank Redemption, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, True Grit, Skyfall, etc. He also did the cinematography for Villeneuve’s films Prisoners and Sicario and gained much acclaim for The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, for which he got an Oscar nomination. The film’s musical composer, Johann Johannsson, did Villeneuve’s films Sicario, Prisoners, and Arrival.