TCM Theater Showings

Every month, TCM shows a classic film in theaters for two days to show them to people who never got the chance to see them on the big screen. They are not at every theater, but they are not that hard to find.

At the start of every film there is always a host that will introduce the film and say something about its impact and reception. There are only nine more showings this year, but they are definitely worth it. On April 23rd and 26th, Mike Nichols’ groundbreaking classic The Graduate will be showing to celebrate its 50 year anniversary. The TCM host that will be presenting is Ben Mankiewicz. The film is known as Dustin Hoffman’s breakthrough role and one of the most important films in the New Hollywood film movement (also known as the American New Wave). On May 21st and 24th, Smokey the Bandit starring Burt Reynolds will be playing to celebrate its 40 year anniversary. Ben Mankiewicz will be hosting for this one as well. This film is what established Burt Reynolds as a star in Hollywood

On June 4th and 7th, Francis Ford Coppola’s tour de force mobster epic The Godfather will be playing. Often cited as one of the greatest films of all time from critics and audiences alike, The Godfather stars numerous acting legends, from Marlon Brando to Al Pacino to Robert Duvall to Diane Keaton, and the list goes on and on. This will also be hosted by Ben Mankiewicz.

On June 11th and 14th, Some Like it Hot will be playing. Directed by one of the great film directors of all time, Billy Wilder, and starring two of the screen’s best actors ever, Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe, this is surely to be enjoyed by anyone of any age or taste in film, a must-see. This will be hosted by TCM host Tiffany Vazquez.

On July 30th and August 2nd, Fast Times at Ridgemont High will be playing. While very silly and cheesy, Sean Penn’s breakthrough role is still a fun watch and worth seeing. It will be hosted by Ben Mankiewicz.

On August 13th and 16th, the classic Bonnie and Clyde will be playing. The film is well known for launching the New Hollywood movement, which I mentioned before. Starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, this classic should really be seen by everybody. This will be hosted by Tiffany Vasquez.

On September 17th and 20th, E.T. The Extra Terrestrial will be playing. Everyone has seen this Steven Spielberg classic. It will be great to relive this adventure on the big screen. It will be hosted by Ben Mankiewicz.

On October 15th and 18th, Rob Reiner’s The Princess Bride will be playing in theaters for its 30th anniversary. A film everyone could enjoy, this will be great to see in theaters. This will be hosted by Tiffany Vasquez.

On November 12th and 15th, the classic film Casablanca will be playing to celebrate its 75th anniversary. Everyone loves Casablanca! This classic starring Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains, and Peter Lorre is a globally renowned classic that is often considered one of the best films ever made. It will be hosted be Ben Mankiewicz.

On December 10th and 13th, the Sidney Poitier classic Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner will be playing. This film was very groundbreaking at its time because it is about an interracial couple. It is one f Sidney Poitier’s best films. It will be hosted by Tiffany Vasquez.