Fortnite Battle Royale: An Intro and Review

A typical battle scene from Fortnite Battle Royale.

Fortnite Battle Royale is made by Epic Games and is a online multiplayer game with 100 players fighting to the death. The map on Fortnite is 3 x 3km. In the game, players go to different spots of the map armed only with a pickaxe that breaks through walls. The pickaxe helps collect resources such as wood, brick, and metal. Players run around the map collecting weapons from pistols to rocket launchers, as well as resources to help win the game. There is also an eye of a storm that slowly shrinks in and kills players stuck  in it for to long. The goal is the be the last player standing– this can be achieved by killing off the other players.  This doesn’t have to happen through violence– a player can hoard resources, leaving other players without, which leads to their demise.

The logo and title screen.

My opinion, Fortnite is an ‘okay’ game– it’s not the most fun and action- packed game I had hoped for. Each match is around an hour long. Depending on where a player lands, he or she could just spend 30 minutes on  collecting resources and weapons or running from the storm until getting into a fight. A player may or may not win the fight, and afterwards his or her health may be low, so when she runs into another fight, she’s done for. But if the player is lucky, she may win the next one, she better have a med kit!

So, overall, while I find Fortnite pretty boring, I can’t deny that it’s addictive.