Suns Out Guns Out: Dieting

There are many diets in our society that people use for weight loss or for increased health.  Many of these diets are some that are hard to maintain, but others that are easier to maintain and the answer to optimal health has maybe been in front of us the whole time.  

Eating unprocessed whole foods is the cornerstone of the paleo diet. 

Back in the paleolithic age, also known as the stone age, our ancestors who were cave men were hunters and  gatherers. This means the men would hunt for meat and the women would gather fruits and vegetables. According to scientists, these early humans were taller and more physically fit than we are today. Today, we call their diet a ‘paleolithic diet.’ This diet is very regimented and it has helped people all over the world lose weigh and improve overall health. The ‘paleo’ diet focuses on lean meats and other protein foods such as eggs, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds.

This useful chart displays the types of food that make up the paleo diet.

Followers of the paleo diet also must not consume salt, oil, or processed carbs such as white bread and cereal (sugars, essentially).  Whole grains are okay. This diet is a very popular one used by many people. The amount of weight one can lose in this diet depends on the dedication to it. Sticking to the diet and eliminating processed foods- especially fast food- from one’s diet should give good results- within a year of sticking to the diet and pairing it with consistent exercise, individuals should see the best results. 

A man that has been on the paleo diet for a year.
    View Comments (1)