#FeministOscars

There were many memorable moments during this year’s 87th Academy Award Oscar award. It was dubbed the #feministoscars on Twitter because of all the attributes to female empowerment. Best Supporting Actress, Patricia Arquette, who won for her role in Boyhood gave an unforgettable acceptance speech about unjust treatment of women in America, citing the need for equal pay. “To every woman who gave birth to every tax payer and citizen of this nation, we have fought for everybody else’s equal rights. It’s our time to have wage equality once and for all, and equal rights for women in the United States of America.” Arquette’s speech resulted in a resounding round of applause from the audience, especially from Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lopez, who showed their gratitude by cheering and rooting her on.

In recent years, the most important question at the Oscars seems to have always been which designer a female celebrity was wearing, rather than the work she had done; the #AskHerMore challenges this norm. The campaign was first created by Amy Poelher at the Golden Globes in January but received tons of support at the Oscars last week. Actresses decided they would like to be questioned about more than just their wardrobe choices.

#HeForShe cuff links were worn by Steve Carell at the Oscars. These cuff links promoted UN gender equality, which is Emma Watson’s feminist campaign. Steve Carell was later thanked by Emma Watson on Facebook and Instagram for supporting her campaign and gender equality.

Check out Patricia Arquette’s acceptance speech below:

http://youtu.be/L-EmDy3w1X8