My Business is Your Business

Lots of teenagers have different types of jobs that make different levels of money. Most jobs pay minimum or slightly above minimum wage. When I started working, I didn’t want this to be the case. Like anyone else, I like making money.  And, comic books are a passion of mine. But for many years, I never thought of combining the two things.

My display at a show.
My display at a show.

It all started one afternoon over the weekend in October of 2010 after my father left the house for several hours. I, being an adventurous ten-year old, decided to explore the attic of my house. Within a few steps, I came across stacks of comic books– 1960’s and 1970’s comic books! I started reading them until my father came home and discovered me going through his comic books that he had saved all these years. The rest is history. What started as a hobby would give me the opportunity to earn thousands of dollars in the coming years. So, what do I do exactly? I buy and sell comic books.                                          

The hobby of comic book collecting has grown bigger and bigger over time. This is because of publishing companies growing bigger and bigger due to gaining interest. The film industry has drastically changed the amount of interest in comics today. Companies like Disney, Marvel, and even DC are making huge amounts of money at the box office with their comic book-themed movies. Televisions shows are also being premiered on network TV and streaming services such as Netflix, and Hulu. The fact that via mass media, individuals are able to experience these stories without even having to read the comics, is a big deal. The comic market is so big, many comic conventions have sprung up all over the world. There, you can meet creators and buy and sell comics and other related merchandise. But where does this stuff com from? How is it sold? That’s where I come in.

This is serious business.
This is serious business.

I capitalize on this strong and growing market by purchasing anything I think I can make decent money on, such as collections, at shows and on eBay. Something I look for the most are first appearances of popular characters. So far, I’ve spent thousands of dollars on comic books.  In a nutshell, I buy comics from Dealer A, then sell them to Dealer B. Usually, it is much more complicated: imagine the above scenario and multiple it by many dealers with lots and lots of inventory, which means lots and lots of cash.  It’s hard work, but it’s well worth it. 

This is something that I enjoy very much and over time, I hope to make my business even bigger than it already is!