Dune: Part Two: Bringing the World of Frank Herbert to Life

Dune: Part Two is a movie based off of the 1965 Science Fiction novel by Frank Herbert and a sequel to the movie Dune: Part One. The story is set in the distant future, following a young noble by the name of Paul Atriedes. Paul’s family is sent by the emperor to become the stewards of the planet Arrakis, an uninhabitable desert wasteland. Although Arrakis is inhospitable, it holds the most valuable resource known to man, spice. Spice is a psychedelic drug that extends one’s life and enhances the brain’s abilities, making those who control spice production the most powerful. The move to Arrakis ends in tragedy as house Atriedes is ambushed and massacred by House Harkonnen. Paul’s father is killed, but he and his mother flee to the desert, and that’s where Dune: Part Two starts off.

Part Two follows Paul, his mother, and the Natives of Arrakis (known as the Fremen) as Paul seeks to avenge the massacre of House Atriedes, liberate the Fremen, and explore the prophecy of the Lisan Al Gaib.

A spectacular cinematic experience. It was able to transport me into the world that it created-I loved the whole experience.

— Steve Goldberg

I’ve been a huge fan of the book for years now, and I truly believe that the casting of the movies was absolute perfection. The first and second movie is packed full of renowned A-list actors such as Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Austin Butler, and Florence Pugh. Each actor truly brought their characters to life. Throughout the movie, I grew attached to the characters like Paul(Chalamet), Chani(Zendaya), and Princess Irulan(Pugh), whereas Austin Butler’s portrayal of the evil Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen made me feel absolutely disgusted, which means all the actors did just as they should.

The set and CGI were absolutely incredible, completely transporting the viewers to the world of Arrakis. The sand-worms looked so real they genuinely struck fear in my heart and found myself flinching every time it appeared on screen. The visually intense setting of Arrakis made me feel the heat and thirst of the brutal land.

Overall, I found the movie to be an incredible film that brings the world Frank Herbert created to life.

It earns a rating of 5/5 stars.