Mark Your Calendars: Total Solar Eclipse to Happen on April 8, 2024

Credit: Robert B. Slobins

On April 8th, 2024, North America will experience a mesmerizing total solar eclipse, captivating observers along a narrow band of U.S. land stretching from Texas to Maine. 

During this remarkable event, the moon will perfectly align with the sun, casting darkness akin to night over the Earth for several minutes. Within the path of totality, spectators will have the rare opportunity to witness the moon’s silhouette against the sun without protective eyewear, offering a captivating view of the cosmic alignment.

“During the last solar eclipse, my family and I made our own glasses out of cereal boxes with a solar filter film over it.” -Tova (Village School student)

Outside this narrow band, much of the U.S. will still witness a partial eclipse, albeit less dramatic. The eclipse will commence in Texas at 1:27 p.m. CDT and conclude in Maine at 3:35 p.m. EDT, with timing varying based on location within the eclipse’s path. This highly anticipated celestial phenomenon is a rare event, as the next total solar eclipse is not expected until 2044. Enthusiasts worldwide are eagerly preparing to witness and document this breathtaking spectacle.

Sources:

“April 2024 total solar eclipse guide: How to watch, understand and stay safe on April 8”https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/03/23/april-2024-total-eclipse-guide/73065430007/