Understanding the Goth Subculture

By Max Cruz

There's more to Goth than you think.
There’s more to Goth than you think.

The Goth Subculture is something people really take for granted. Goths, you see shouldn’t be judged by the stereotypes that surround us. Look, do you think of stereotypes as the entire truth? I certainly hope not. So then, why do people tend to think in such ways? Perhaps it’s just that people are afraid of what they don’t understand.

Many hear the term, “Goth” and imagine a person who acts mopey and hates life. Well, guess what? That couldn’t be further from the truth. We’re not into that crap!

Here’s the deal with Goth: it was originally a branch of Punk that became it’s own subculture. We dress in a certain way. But, the way a Goth chooses to dress depends on the branch of the subculture with which he or she chooses to identify. We listen to a certain kind of music. Originally, Goth music was Alternative/Dark Wave/Post-Punk music which included bands such as The Bauhaus, Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees, The Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, etc.

But at one point, Goth went techno, and so, the first branch of Goth, CyberGoth, was born. Cyber-Goth is a more futuristic style, with followers wearing such items as goggles and respirators. Goth has divided into more branches over the years and so has the sound of the music. Newer examples of Goth music include Evanescence, Within Temptation, Leaves Eyes and Emilie Autumn.

Goths are actually happier than you would think! We’re still human beings after all. Goth is also type of literature. Notable Gothic authors include Edgar Allen Poe, Neil Gaiman and Anne Rice.

Still curious? Look into it. Post any questions below and I will be sure to answer them!