In a Situation That’s Stressing You Out?

Have you ever been in a stressful and anxiety- inducing situation? If the answer is ‘yes,’ you know what it’s like to have the sweats, the feeling that your heart almost beating out of your chest, and more. Some individuals cope by taking a prescribed medication such as valium, or use breathing techniques, but most times, people don’t know how to take control of their emotions and calm themselves down.

However, if you’re reading this, you’re in luck! In recent years, scientists at the University of Michigan have conducted research and made a remarkable discovery. What was found was that if a person talked to themselves in third person, their heart rates significantly lowered.

Recently a Youtube show, “Good Mythical Morning,” decided to test this theory out. The video showed one of the hosts, Link, as his head was put in a box with anxiety- inducing materials, while Rhett, the other host, tracked Link’s heart rate. One anxiety-provoking ‘material’  was a Boa Constrictor snake.  Link’s heart rate jumped higher than 140, but when Link started talking to himself, it dropped dramatically to the 90s. The two were shocked with the results, as were the viewers.

Other situations included dirty tissues being put in the box with him. Again, the third person talking worked and dropped his heart rate dramatically. This trick might not work for everyone, but it sure worked for Link. Try it out, see if it works, and if it does, you now have a coping skill to use the next time you find yourself in a stressful situation.

View Comments (2)