A Look Inside Student Government

At first glance, there may not be much to say about student government. The most students witness is the selling of candy grams, organizing a potluck lunch to raise money for the school, or maybe, putting up a poster or two for special occasions; however, there’s a lot more that goes on than the Village School community may think.

The average student government meeting is heavy with discussion on how to make the world a better place. While yes, most of the time the only way to do so is through fundraising, the profits are going elsewhere to improve lives. For example, there are currently plans to make care packages for women who have recently escaped abusive households. Each would contain essentials such as soap, toothbrushes, and canned food.

There is much in store for school events. One of the planned events is the annual Festival of the Arts, where students are given the opportunity to hold clinics to teach others about their hobbies, showcase talents, and run workshops. This event is traditionally held the day before spring break, but many other things are being done in the meantime. While the student government is not exactly in the spotlight, it can’t be denied that it is a committed and important part of our community.